Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks in heavy syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 eggs yolks, slightly beaten
- 7 fresh Trinity mandarin oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 cups large marshmallows cut into quarters
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Drain pineapple; reserve 2 tablespoons syrup.
- In a saucepan, combine reserved pineapple syrup, sugar, vinegar, butter, and egg yolks. Cook, stirring, over low heat for about 6 minutes, or until the custard thickens. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine mandarin oranges, pineapple chunks, and marshmallows. Pour the custard into the bowl and stir gently.
- Fold the whipped cream into the fruit mixture.
- Place in a serving bowl, cover and chill for 24 hours.